THE WILLIAMS MUSEUM
Books, Papers and Paintings
Two water colours painted in Paihia by Thomas Biddulph Hutton in 1860 and donated by Janet Williams of Mangakuri. Hutton was an accomplished artist whose work is held in museums in England and New Zealand. He married Sarah Williams, Henry's seventh child, in 1849 and shortly thereafter was ordained as a priest working in the Wellington region. Because of ill health, he moved to Paihia in 1858 and after Sarah's death in 1866 he returned to England. One of these water colours "Paihia and Horotutu from Motu Maere" is a general landscape while the other "Paihia Church March 1860" is a more intimate study of the Mission church and some foreground figures.
Miniature Psalm Book
Miniature Psalm Book. This tiny booklet contains the words of Psalm 139. it once belonged to Marianne Williams who has inscribed her name and the date in it. Although it would have been difficult to read the words as she became older, Marianne may well have known them by heart. Donated by Sheila and Priscilla Williams.
Commonplace Book which belonged to Jane Williams and is inscribed with her name and the date of January 22nd 1852. This indicates she acquired it during her return visit to England with William in 1851-2. These books contained memorabilia such as postcards or autographs by friends. Jane’s volume provides a limited insight into her interests. The postcards are scenes of England which she may have collected during her visit. The written entries tend to be of a religious nature. Donated by Sheila and Priscilla Williams
Book of Common Prayer
Book of Common Prayer 1856. This handsome leather-bound and gilt-edged volume is inscribed “Jane Williams from her affectionate husband July 11 1861”. This was their 36th wedding anniversary. Donated by Sheila and Priscilla Williams.
Photo to come
1866 New Zealand hymnal written by A G Purchas and is probably the first music printed in New Zealand. This copy, donated by John Andrews, is of particular interest to the Williams family because it belonged to Bishop Leonard Williams, whose signature is on the front page and who has hand-written four pages of index.
Lempriere's Classical Dictionary, re-edited and published in London in 1838, inscribed by William Williams and donated by Sheila and Priscilla Williams. First published in 1788 this work, which saw the world through Greek and Latin fables, was an important handbook for teachers and writers for nearly two centuries. William would have known it from his classical studies at Oxford and he remained interested in this area all his life, tutoring his sons and nephews in Greek and Latin. This elegant edition bound in leather and gilt may have been purchased by him during his visit to England in 1850. It was used by his son, Leonard, grandson Herbert and great–grandson Nigel, all of whom were classical scholars.
DICTIONARY TITLE PAGE
William Williams' Atlas
Atlas - Cover Detail
Atlas of Ancient Geography
Atlas of Ancient Geography. Inscribed WW and William Leonard Williams.